Thursday, March 24, 2011

Module 4- Biographical Poetry

Bernier-Grand, Carmen T. Frida: ¡Viva la vida! /Frida: Long Live Life!. Tarrytown, NY: Marshall Cavendish Children, 2007. ISBN 9780761453369

Review:

In Frida: ¡Viva la vida! /Frida: Long Live Life!, Bernier-Grand uses free verse poems in first person to describe the life of artist Frida Kahlo. Kahlo's art work is featured throughout the book with many matching the accompanying poem. The poems speak of Kahlo's life from birth to death including her polio bout, bus accident, surgeries, marriage, infidelity, pain, and more. In her poem, Wounded Deer, Bernier-Grand explores Kahlo's painting The Little Deer (1946). The images of barren trees, arrows, blood, and Kahlo's head on a deer body are represented in the poem's words- My barren landscapes show my barren self/ I have lost three children/ Four arrows in my heart/ to remind Diego how his shots have made me bleed. Even though the tone is sad, it ends with an uplifting thought- "But I am happy to be alive". This book is visually stunning and the poems give a voice to the artwork of Kahlo, whose complicated life was eased through art. A short biography of Kahlo's life, timeline, glossary, sources, and quotes are included in the book. It is a good starting book for those interested in her biography and artwork. It is more appropriate for young adult students than elementary students.

Introduction:

Show the picture of The Little Deer using a document camera and LCD projector. Have students describe the mood of the picture. As they answer, ask them why they think that is the mood. You can also use symbolism in this way as well.  Record their answers on chart paper. Read the poem aloud with the image still showing.

Poem: excerpt from Frida: ¡Viva la vida! /Frida: Long Live Life! by Carmen Bernier-Grand
(accompanied by Frida's painting The Little Deer (1946).

Wounded Deer

My barren landscapes show my barren self.
I have lost three children.

Four arrows in my heart
to remind Diego how his shots have made me bleed.

Shooting pains in my hip,
Shooting pains in my foot,
Shooting pains in my spine.

I am not sick.
I am broken.
But I am happy to be alive.

http://www.artchive.com/web_gallery/F/Frida-Kahlo/The-Little-Deer.html

Extension:

Choose another of Kahlo's paintings (or another artist's work) to show to the class. Have students discuss the image and write down the words used to describe the artwork. Then have students create a poem based on the artwork from the artist's point of view. Students can read their poems aloud to each other or in small groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment